MANILA, Philippines — Vice President Sara Duterte said Monday that she and President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. “are fine” despite the hostility between her family and the president.
READ: Marcos says relationship with VP Duterte is 'exactly the same'
“We have no problems with each other, President Bongbong Marcos and I are doing well, we are doing well in terms of our personal and professional relationship,” Duterte told reporters in Malaysia, where he will attend a Southeast Asian Education Ministers Organization . Council Program as its president.
However, when asked about his relationship with First Lady Liza Marcos, Duterte only responded: “I have no comment at this time.”
Duterte further said that she and Marcos did not discuss the accusations made against him by his father, former President Rodrigo Duterte, nor did they address the call by his brother, Davao City Mayor Sebastian Duterte, for Marcos to resign.
The said accusations were made during a prayer rally in Davao City, where the former president said that Marcos was on the government's illegal drug watch list – which the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency later denied.
On the other hand, Davao City Mayor Sebastian or “Baste” at the same event also called on Marcos to resign as he criticized the policies of the current administration.
Sara, in turn, dismissed Baste's call as “brotherly love,” attributing Baste's actions to the “despicable treatment” he has been receiving from some of Marcos' allies.
Although the vice president did not specify who these allies were, there has been notable disagreement between House Speaker Martin Romualdez.
READ: VP Duterte on relationship with Romualdez: Why attack administrative allies?
Sara herself previously acknowledged the supposed disagreement between her and Romualdez, stating that even she wonders why she is being “attacked”, despite being an ally of the current government.