QR codes – or “quick response” codes – are square barcodes that can be scanned by mobile devices. They are used for a variety of applications, from opening restaurant menus to directing people to a podcast.
QR codes can also be used in wedding invitations to direct guests to the wedding website where they can respond and find information about the venue, hotel options and registry.
Creating a QR code is a relatively simple process and can be done on both a computer and an Android or iOS device. Here’s how it’s done.
Use the QR code generator
There are many QR code generators to choose from. Here is a step-by-step guide to using a website called QR Code Generator.
1. In any web browser, go to QR code generator website.
2. Enter the URL of the website you want the QR code to send users to. Alternatively, you can also enter text or upload a file (for example to a leaflet you have designed or to a restaurant menu).
3. Once finished, click Download to save your custom QR code.
4. A pop-up will appear asking you to create a free account, but you don’t have to sign up for one. Wait for the QR code to finish generating and it will appear in your downloaded files as an image.
Try the Google Chrome app
You can use the Google Chrome app on your Android or iOS device to create a QR code.
1. Open the Google Chrome app on your Android device and go to the website you want to create a QR code for.
2. Tap on more icons – three vertical dots – in the upper right corner.
3. Obtain Participation in the drop-down menu.
4. Obtain QR code.
5. Click under the QR code on the next screen Charge to save the QR code on your device.
6. Once downloaded, you can send the QR code to others via text message, email, messenger, etc.
1. Open the Google Chrome app on your iPhone or iPad and go to the website you want to create a QR code for.
2. In the upper right corner next to the address bar, tap Participation a symbol that looks like a square with an arrow pointing up.
3. Scroll down and tap Create a QR code.
4. Obtain Participation.
5. Choose how you want to share the QR code (via SMS, email, messaging app, etc.)