Although no one received a Social Security check last week, more beneficiaries can expect to receive their payments this week. The latest round of checks was disbursed on February 2 to those who have been Social Security beneficiaries since before May 1997. We'll help you know when to expect your payment this month.
Find out below when your February Social Security payment is due and how the payment date is determined. To learn more, here's the maximum amount of Social Security money you can receive each month. Plus, find out if you'll need to file your taxes this year.
When will my February Social Security check arrive?
Here is the February schedule for when you should receive your Social Security check and/or SSI money:
- February 2 nd: Social Security payments for people who have received Social Security since before May 1997.
- February. 14: Social Security payments for people with birthdays between the first and tenth of any month.
- February. 21: Social Security payments for people with birthdays between the 11th and 20th of any month.
- February. 28: Social Security payments for people with birthdays between the 21st and 31st of any month.
How is my Social Security payment date determined?
The Social Security Administration typically sends payments on the second, third and fourth Wednesdays of each month. The day you receive your check depends on your birthday.
- If your birthday falls between the first and 10th of each month, your payment will be sent on the second Wednesday of the month.
- If your birthday falls between the 11th and 20th of each month, your payment will be sent on the third Wednesday of the month.
- If your birthday falls between the 21st and 31st of each month, your payment will be sent on the fourth Wednesday of each month.
Payments to SSI recipients generally arrive on the first of each month, with a few exceptions that we'll explain below.
To read more: Turning 67 in 2024? What to know before retiring
What if I receive Social Security and SSI payments?
If you received Social Security benefits before May 1997, or if you received Social Security and SSI simultaneously, the payment schedule is different. Instead of receiving your payments on Wednesday, you will receive your Social Security payment on the third of each month and your SSI on the first of each month.
These payment dates change if the first or third day of the month falls on a weekend or holiday. For example, February 3rd falls on a weekend, so Social Security beneficiaries will receive their February payments one day earlier, on February 2nd.
What if my check doesn't arrive on the scheduled date?
If your check does not arrive by the date listed above, the Social Security Administration recommends waiting an additional three days before contacting you. After that, you can speak to a representative at 800-772-1213. (O SSA Notes waiting times are shorter from Wednesday to Friday and between 4pm and 7pm on weekdays.)
You can also access your Social Security benefits online.
This article is updated monthly as payment dates change.